|Chronological Tour: Stop 326
Main entrance to Harlingen Field, Aug-2005.
The seating bowl, as seen from down the third-base line, Aug-2007.
The playing field, as seen from in front of the press box.
- Location: North O Street and Fair Park Boulevard, Harlingen, Texas
- Opened: 1950 as Lon C. Hill Field (renovated 2002)
- Home team: Harlingen Capitols, Rio Grande Valley League (1950), Gulf Coast League (1951-53), Big State League (1954-55); Rio Grande Valley Giants, Texas League (1960-1st half of 1961); Rio Grande Valley White Wings, Gulf States League (1976); Harlingen Suns, Lone Star League (1977); Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings, Texas-Louisiana/Central League (1994-2003); Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings, United League (2006-10, 2013-14), North American League (2011-12)
- Capacity: 4,500
The original stadium structure at Harlingen Field goes all the way back to 1950. That stadium still stands; new outbuildings, etc., were completed in 2002, during the stay of the independent Central League Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings, who ceased operations after the 2003 season.
For two seasons, the park was used primarily for the two high schools in town, the Harlingen Cardinals and the Harlingen South Hawks. For 2006, a new operator brought back the WhiteWings as a member of the new independent United League.
While the facility is rather Spartan in nature, it fits the bill just fine for independent baseball. If the club operators would recognize that some fans are serious about following players and post a whiteboard for the starting lineups, it would be better. As it is, they did a better job than in Amarillo or at the old park in Laredo.
Return to the Stadiums page
Return to Charlie’s home page
Site and images Copyright © 2005, 2007 Charles O’Reilly. All rights reserved.
This page updated 22-Jan-2016