Chronological Tour: Stop 9

The Mistake by the Lake



Cleveland Municipal Stadium in its final baseball season, Sep-1993.

With rare exceptions, the cavern was never completely filled for baseball after the 1948 World Series.

Quick Facts: Rating: 1 baseball
Cleveland Municipal Stadium was built in the early 1930s as one of the first multi-purpose facilities. The first event there was a boxing match, in 1931; the baseball Indians made their debut there in the summer of 1932, and continued to split their schedule between the new facility and old League Park over the next decade and a half, before they moved in permanently in 1947.

While football’s Rams and Browns were able to pack the facility on a regular basis into the 1990s, the Tribe had trouble, except on certain occasions, such as the 1948 World Series, in which the Indians hosted a baseball-record 86,288 for game 5. The park was just too expansive to readily accommodate a baseball crowd 81 times a season.

To make matters worse, one end of the stadium was exposed, leading to some interesting winds and leading players and commentators alike to refer to it as “the Mistake by the Lake”.

In 1992, the Indians and owner Dick Jacobs made arrangements for a new baseball park to be built as part of a new development off the lakefront called Gateway, which would also accommodate an arena for the city’s NBA basketball team. The complex opened in 1994. The Browns continued to play at Muncipal until they left town after the 1995 season; the stadium was demolished shortly thereafter and the new Browns are playing in a new facility on the site.


Game # Date League Level Result
32 Mon 13-Aug-1990 American MLB Detroit 6, CLEVELAND 5
108 Sat 11-Sep-1993 American MLB CLEVELAND 9, Boston 3
Return to the Stadiums page
Return to Charlie’s home page
E-mail: charlies.ballparks@verizon.net

Site and images Copyright © 1993 Charles O’Reilly. All rights reserved.
This page updated 12-Feb-2016