Chronological Tour: Stop 171

Marinelli Field



Exterior of Marinelli Field, Sep-1999.

A look at the seating configuration.

The field looks out at the 15th Avenue bridge and the Rock River.

Quick Facts: Rating: 2 baseballs
Marinelli Field was built in the 1960s in Black Hawk Park, named for the Native American leader who made the Rock River his home prior to the wars of 1831-32.

The field was used for amateur games and tournaments until 1988, when a stadium was built around it to accommodate a new Midwest League team. That club was affiliated with four Major League clubs in its 12-year history.

The park itself was constructed mostly of aluminum, with brick facing to make it look a little more like a stadium. There was regular seating in the box-seat areas, while the upper grandstand and bleachers were strictly bench seating.

In 1999, the team was purchased by a group that hooked up with the Cincinnati Reds and arranged to move the team to Dayton, Ohio. The RiverHawks of the independent Frontier League moved in for the 2002 season, resurrecting the facility. However, they moved to a new facility in Loves Park, north of the current facility, in 2006. Construction delays prohibited the club from moving in 2005.


Game # Date League Level Result
388 Sun 5-Sep-1999 Midwest A Kane County 3, ROCKFORD 2
Return to the Stadiums page
Return to Charlie’s home page
E-mail: charliesballparks@verizon.net

Site and images Copyright © 1999 Charles O’Reilly. All rights reserved.
This page updated 12-Aug-2009