Entrance to Park T. Pigott Stadium in Terry Park, Aug-2003.
The seating bowl.
The ground crew gets the field ready for an amateur game after a rainstorm.
- Location: Palm Beach Boulevard (FL 80) between Terry and Palmetto avenues, Fort Myers, Fla.
- Opened: 1925 (stadium rebuilt 1955, 2005)
- Home team: Fort Myers Palms, Florida State League (1926-27); Fort Myers Royals, Florida State League (1978-87); spring training: Philadelphia Athletics (1925-36), Cleveland Indians (1941-42), Pittsburgh Pirates (1955-68), Kansas City Royals (1969-87)
- Capacity: 3,000 (approx., 1955-2004; highest paid attendance, 5,351, March 1961)
Terry Park, named after the family that donated the land in the 1920s, has hosted a lot of spring training as well as a dozen years of Florida State League baseball.
During the Kansas City Royals years, the main field featured artificial turf, just as Royals Stadium did. Several years after the Royals left for Baseball City, the turf left as well. The facility, featuring a total of four baseball diamonds, now sees year-round amateur baseball use.
The Fort Myers News-Press reports as of July 2004 that the 1955 grandstand has been removed, but the old girders have been retained as the outline for a new grandstand to open in 2005. The new stadium will seat about 900, as the additional bleachers down the foul lines have been removed. A spring training museum is also being considered for the park.
Return to the Stadiums page
Return to Charlie’s home page
Site and images Copyright © 2003 Charles O’Reilly. All rights reserved.
This page updated 19-Jul-2004