Chronological Tour: Stop 270

Riverwalk Stadium

The old Western Alabama Railway shed forms the exterior of the ballpark.

Here, you see how the rail shed has been turned into concession and suite areas.

The view from behind home plate.

Quick Facts: Rating: 4 baseballs
Organized baseball left Montgomery’s Paterson Field after the 1980 season, but the city was ready for its return. The success of an independent team in 2001 helped pave the way for the Orlando Rays to relocate to Montgomery for 2004.

Riverwalk Stadium was built on the site of an old railyard. The railroad company’s offices and shed, erected in 1898, were converted into team offices and park entry, concession, and suite areas. Additional suites were constructed along the left-field line. To this day, freight trains operate along a track just beyond the left-field line, near the city’s old Union Station. Spectators on the concourse running behind the outfield can be distracted by train traffic (and so can outfielders). Just beyond the tracks lies the Alabama River Walk, an up-and-coming tourist attraction.

A telephone company switching station beyond the right-field wall could not be relocated, leading to a short porch. There is outfield berm seating behind right field as well. Much of the advertised capacity of 7,000 is in the form of standing and lawn-seating room. The day I attended in 2004, sales closed with a total of 7,139 tickets sold.

The new team chose the nickname “Biscuits” in an effort to get away from the politically incorrect “Rebels” name of years past, and also to project a wholesome, family-style image for the team – as fun as a family sitting down to a meal and having biscuits with it. A local biscuit baker has signed on as a sponsor and supplies biscuits to the park, and the team slogan for the inaugural season was “History in the Baking”.

Game # Date League Level Result
664 Sun 4-Jul-2004 Southern AA MONTGOMERY 4, Huntsville 1
1390 Tue 28-Jul-2015 Southern AA Tennessee 8, MONTGOMERY 0
Return to the Stadiums page
Return to Charlie’s home page

Site and images Copyright © 2004 Charles O’Reilly. All rights reserved.
This page updated 28-Jul-2015