Main entrance to McDonough Park, Aug-2003.
The seating bowl, as seen from just above the center-field wall.
A quick peek inside the park.
- Location: Lyceum Street west of Nursery Street, Geneva, N.Y.
- Opened: 1958 (or earlier) as Shuron Park
- Home team: Geneva Redlegs (1958-62), Senators (1963-68, 1970-71), Pirates (1969), Rangers (1972), Twins (1973), Cubs (1977-93), New York-Penn League
McDonough Park is tucked into a corner of Geneva, a city on the north end of Seneca Lake better known as the home of Hobart and William Smith Colleges.
The stadium appears to have been built in 1958, although it is possible the field predates the construction of the stadium. The park received the name McDonough Park in memory of former general manager Joseph E. McDonough prior to the 1977 season. The Geneva Cubs of the New York-Penn League played here through the 1993 season and then got swept away in the huge number of franchise moves that took place at the end of that campaign.
Today, the field continues to be used by high school and American Legion teams, as well as a team in the New York Collegiate Baseball League.
Return to the Stadiums page
Return to Charlie’s home page
Site and images Copyright © 2003 Charles O’Reilly. All rights reserved.
This page updated 17-Jul-2007