An outside wall of Nickerson Field that may be original to Braves Field, Jul-2005.
The current Nickerson Field grandstand.
- Location: Commonwealth Avenue and Harry Agganis Way (Gaffney Street), Boston, Mass.
- Opened: 1915 (renovated 1960, several additional times)
- Home team: Boston Braves, National League (1915-52)
- Capacity: 37,106 (1948); 10,412 (2004)
Braves Field was the home of the Boston Braves for thirty-eight seasons, until they moved to Milwaukee. The Red Sox also used it for their World Series games in 1915 and 1916, as Fenway Park, opened in 1912, was too small at the time. (It was expanded several times through 1934.)
In addition to baseball, football teams used Braves Field, which was taken over by a rapidly expanding Boston University in 1953.
According to the Boston University athletic department, the current layout of Nickerson Field owes its existence to the Boston Patriots of the American Football League, who teamed with the school to renovate and reconfigure the facility.
Today, the field is covered by FieldTurf and is used by the Terriers for several sports, including Boston University soccer and lacrosse. In 2005, it is also the home of the Boston Cannons of Major League Lacrosse.
Return to the Stadiums page
Return to Charlie’s home page
Site and images Copyright © 2005 Charles O’Reilly. All rights reserved.
This page updated 3-Jul-2005